Sunday 12 May 2013

Stage 3: Marathon des Sables

Related Posts
From the dessert:  Check-in, Stage 1Stage 2Stage 3Stage 4Stage 5


Stage 3: 38km, lots of sand, riverbed and a mountain

Surely I wasn't the only one, but Tue morning was rough.  I eventually recovered enough last night to get protein and dinner down, but my stomach was feeling weak, shoulders exhausted and attitude barely above sea level.  'Okay, nothing's working.  What to do?'

Luckily, some of the vets in our tent were tossing out advice, "It's going to be really hot today."  "Don't over-do it, the long stage is tomorrow."  These coupled with my desire to finish strong in at least one stage led to a run/ walk strategy, 'start 1.5k/.5k and shorten the run as the heat turns on.  Focus on breathing, engage core and relax shoulders and neck. If good at the end, let loose!'

After breakfast and prep, it was off to the start (stomach a mess).

pic by Mark Gillett
"Living easy, living free
season ticket on a one-way ride
asking nothing, leave me be
taking everything in my stride
don't need reason, don't need rhyme
aint nothing I'd rather do
going down, party time
my friends are gonna be there too, yeah

I'm on a highway to to hell
on the highway to hell..."

Run, run, run, and at 1.5k, I  pulled to the side.  The world began passing me by.  'Really?!?  Another k and you'll be in dead last!.'  But, I was determined to stick it out for at least one stage.

pic by Mark Gillett
Run, walk.  Run, walk.  Leap-frogging with the same people, anxiety began to settle.  More importantly, my stomach was also settling.

Into CP1 at 13k, and I had actually pulled away from my original leap-frog friends.  'This may actually work.'

CP1 to 2 felt slow.  A mountain pass (small by day 2's standards) meant single file for some time and after we came down, it was a lot of sand.  As frustrating as it was, I walked most of the sandy part, 'stick with it, don't be a hero today, tomorrow is what counts.'  During the walk, I came along a Frenchman who had lived in and traveled Asia.  We traded stories as the k's passed.  Once the ground was decent, I took off.

The final stretch to CP2 was dry river bed and my legs were desperate to run, '6k to the finish, let's let loose.'  With that, I came running out of CP2.  Still on walk/ run, but the run was really moving.  Passing folks left and right, my legs were getting lighter and looser with each step.  '3k to go, scratch the walk, run it in and carry positive energy into tomorrow.'

Across the line with an ear to ear grin and a hungry attitude.  'Finally raced my race.  Feels like the gas tank was barely used.  Bring on the long stage!'  

This was my lowest place and slowest time yet, but that didn't matter.  I had stuck to the plan and felt in control.  What a difference a day makes. 


Stage time:  5.33.14
Stage place:  296

Overall time:  15.57.43

No comments:

Post a Comment