Monday 29 April 2013

Pre-race: Marathon des Sables

Related Posts
From the dessert:  Check-in, Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3, Stage 4, Stage 5

The whole incredible adventure began on Apr 2, flights from Osaka to Tokyo, Tokyo to Paris and Paris to Casablanca.  One day in Casablanca (Apr 3) but no sightseeing as it was rainy, and I still had gaiter sewing to do!

Casablanca from the air
Final flight was Casablanca to Ouarzazate, which I found out after a few embarrassing episodes is pronounced Wa-za-zat.  It was in the airport that I met my first MDS friends, Danielle and Glenn, and we promptly began talking training, kit, possible kit changes, weather, terrain, etc, etc.  It was so nice to meet people as seemingly neurotic as I :)

Ouarzazate
Ouarzazate from my hotel
Waking up, Apr 4, in Ouarzazate, I headed for a 40min jog holding my eager legs back from taking off.  Buffet breakfast at the hotel, Tichka/Riad Salam, where I came upon much of the North American contingent.  There was a buzz in the air, and the stories of past years and other race successes (including the Antarctic Utra!) were excellent and inspiring.

After stuffing myself (note this for later), it was time for the pack your pack talk with Jay, our fearless leader and then then 9/ now 10-time MdS vet.  A great talk that sent 30 or so first timers rushing off to cut, sew, change, peel, re-package, test and weigh.  Little did I know, it wouldn't be the last time I'd be on this mission.

Apr 5 - Up early to stuff my face again (note) before catching the buses for a ride out to the desert.


A beautiful ride it was.

Atlas Mountains
Atlas Mountains
lunch provided: taboule, sausages, bread, crackers,
cheese, dried fruit, orange, peanuts juice and a crepe
Six hours later we arrived at the end of the road.  Or, at least the end of road buses.

Moroccan military took us the rest of the way
didn't know when I took this pic,
but the man in the middle with the grey sweatshirt
is running all-star and my soon to be tent mate, Steve
The military took us a couple k from the road to our home away from home.
Bivouac 1 (bee-voo-wak) aka Camp 1
After a tasty dinner provided by the organization, the sun had set, so without electricity, it was off to bed at 8.30.

Chicken cous-cous, carrot salad, bread, soup,
red wine (to put me to sleep) and desert

Apr 6 - Check in day.  The North American team checked in late, so I had all morning and early afternoon to second guess kit and ditch stuff: deodorant, sandals, silk blanket, extra shirt, extra socks and others.

provided: egg, ham, cheese, bread, jam,
yogurt, cereal, oj
check-in: drop off non-race bag, get number,
time chip, emergency flare, road book and salts
pic by Mark Gillett
check-in: check medical form, bag weight and food
(min bag 6.5kg/ min food 12,000cal)
pic by Mark Gillett
hauling non-race bags back to Ouarzazate
'That's how my bag got smashed!'
Post check-in was chill out, race briefing, dinner and bed.  Tomorrow's race day!

Tent 58, killin time
Race briefing
pic by Mark Gillett

No comments:

Post a Comment