Wednesday 6 March 2013

Change of Plans. Really?!?

The 2013, 28th running of the MDS will be 5 timed stages over 6 days compared to the previous 27 years which have been 6 timed stages over 7 days.  The 6th, non-timed stage will likely be 15k less than previous years.

The race is still 7 days, but the 7th and final day is a 'fun run' (my name, not the organizers') for runners to enjoy a stage in the desert.  I like the idea, but would prefer an EXTRA, 8th day to enjoy the desert rather than removal of a competitive day.

On first seeing the announcement in my inbox, I was speechless.  Not sure what to think.  Honestly, I feel cheated.  Maybe it's a competitive thing and maybe it's unreasonable, but I feel cheated.  "Oh, you ran the 28th MDS?  Isn't that when they made it easier?" (Easier being a relative term!)

Now, even with 5 timed stages and one not-timed stage, I fully expect to be pushed to a mental and physical place that is beyond my current understanding, but I can't get over this feeling.

Anyway, maybe I'm overreacting.  Let me sleep on it and run 5hrs tomorrow, and maybe I'll calm down :)


No comments:

Post a Comment